As a part of the project ‘the Renaissance Heritage of Malopolska’ we would like to invite you to participate in a seminar in Decius Villa on November the 4th at 11 a.m. and to visit next landmark buldings on the Trail of Renaissance in Malopolska: the Castle on Mirow in Ksiaz Wielki and the castle and park complex in Mloszowa. The program includes guided sightseeing (starting every hour), Renaissance and old-time music concerts. At 2 p.m. we would like to invite you to the Basilica of the holy grave in Miechow for a field lecture, combined with sightseeing of the premises of the monastery. The lecture will be conducted by Dr Pawel Pencakowski.
The landmark buildings:
- The Castle on Mirow in Ksiaz Wielki
The castle was erected in years 1585-1595 by the Bishop of Cracow and the heir of Ksiaz Wielki – Piotr Myszkowski and his nephew. The castle was designed by Santi Gucci, a court artist of Zygmunt II August, Anna Jagiellonka and Stefan Batory. The castle is located on a towering hill of Mirow, a couple hundred metres east of Ksiaz.
- The Renaissance monastery and the Basilica of the Holy Grave in Miechow
In 1530’s and the following years the medieval monastery of the Order of Knights of the Holy Grave in Miechow was completely reconstructed. At that time ambulatories and central, cupola chapel of the holy grave was patterned on Wawel chapel by Bishop Piotr Tomicki. Inside the chapel a symbolic holy grave is preserved and in the cupola magnificent decoration was discovered. The discovery of the paintings during conservatory works conducted in 2008 came as a revelation of the season.
- The castle and park complex in Mloszowa
Located near Katowice, reconstructed numerously, renovated in the 18th and 19th century, the complex, together with a pond, is fenced with a high, stone wall with turrets and towers. The earliest mentions of Mloszowa and its owners date back to the 14th century. The building was designed by a renowned Cracovian architect Zygmunt Hendel. He has given the palace refined forms of the French architecture of the turn of the 16th and 17th century. The palace together with the chapel, the annexe and the arsenal, as well as the Royal Gate and the tower of Florkiewiczowie are properties listed in the historic monuments register. The castle and park complex in Mloszowa is owned by Karol Adamiecki University of Economics.